Saturday, July 27, 2024

Academic Participation

 It is an audio excerpt 30 minutes long. I may not look excited as I am listening, nor would it look like I am having fun, but that is not the point. For some, it is. Having something exciting and having fun playing the game can make or break it. But I see I am experiencing it in a different capacity. I am taking it seriously.

   It is as if I am giving it academic study. One might view this as being in poor spirit, the wrong way of experience, or something similar. However, I chose to be here. I am participating for a reason, no? It is to learn and understand. This game--you have fun, you enjoy it, and you share it with others. I hear you laughing when you play it. That much is an opportunity for me to learn and understand. If I weren't interested, I wouldn't be asking, now would I?

    The banter reminds me of how infrequently I do the same banter with others when it comes to groups. Perhaps for me that's just an indicator that I'm only a serious person in groups. But some could think I'm not having fun. I don't have to--it's not a requirement, is it? Lack of fun does not necessarily mean boredom, does it? What are the lines between fun, serious, and not fun, anyway? I digress.

    But after listening to the excerpt in full, it seems to make sense now what my approach is. Now it would be a bad one if I did not learn, did not understand, or--god forbid--outright rejected the experience. So long as I'm putting in the time, effort, and energy to take part in something another person enjoys or loves, then what's to blame?

No comments:

Post a Comment