Saturday, July 20, 2024

Huxleyan Metaphysics

    On Monday, I have to give a 15-minute informal presentation to my class of Principles of Instruction. The informal presentation--as opposed to formal presentation--will consist of open discussion and questions between the presenter and the class. Some of the students had difficulty thinking of a subject they would do for their presentation. I thought of my subject quite easily: Huxleyan metaphysics.

   Aldous Huxley is one of my most favorite writers of all time, and he has written much about metaphysics. I am required to ask at minimum 5 questions for the presentation. I have four of Huxley's books, and three of them I will be using to create these questions. The topics are:

  1. Understanding vs Knowledge
  2. Directional Transcendence and Liberation
  3. Mind at Large Theory
  4. Mental Antipodes
  5. Beauty and Value of Precious Stones and Flora
    Huxley's three books, The Doors of Perception, Moksha, and The Divine Within, will be the materials I'll reference in building context and information for the questions. What are the questions, then?

  1. What is the difference between knowledge and understanding?
  2. In what ways do you practice transcendence, and in what direction?
  3. How do you believe methods of Mind at Large are effective or ineffective?
  4. Have you or anyone you know visited a mental antipode? How?
  5. What experiences with precious stones or flora would you call beautiful?
    Huxley has written much about metaphysics, and though I don't particularly have the time or interest in elaborating some of the information necessary to answer these questions right now, perhaps I will follow up this post with a more thorough one.

No comments:

Post a Comment